Saturday, November 11, 2017

Veteran's Day -- A Day To Be Thankful

Today is Veteran's Day in the United States of America.  A day to pay respect to those who have served our wonderful country in the past, present, and who continue to do so.  A day to remember those who did not make the trip back home from the battlefield.  A day to remember those who have given the ultimate sacrifice (lost their lives for our country).  This is the cost of freedom in the USA.  I will share a memory (as a veteran) which arises every Veteran's Day in my mind.


I am a veteran.  I remember one of the greatest feelings in the world.  What might that feeling be?  When I would "deploy" to the Middle East (1996-200), I would miss the United States of America with each day (month) passing.  One of the best feelings was to feel the aircraft landing in South Carolina at Shaw Air Force Base.



When the wheels bounced slightly followed by the feeling of the entire airplane being grounded, I felt a rush surge through my body -- along with the other soldiers on board.  The excitement would run sky high to see those family members waiting to greet their respective soldiers back from a deployment.  My biological family was in California, but my military family would always find a way to have a fellow service member there to greet each of us back to the soil of the United States of America.  As I stepped off of the airplane, I would see a giant American Flag displayed in the hanger (the fuel shop hanger) in front of me with the following song by Lee Greenwood being blared in the background.  I will forever remember the image and sound until I die (here two examples of greeting ceremonies - Example 1 and Example 2).  Here is the song below:





Last but not least, there are those who have returned from the battlefield in physical person who are changed and have great trouble adjusting to life back home.  Below is a video which conveys the sense of despair and lost of those who suffer irreparable trauma in the service for your freedom.  Take a few minutes to think about the cost of freedom.







Not only do we need to think of them on this day, we need to look out for them when in need.  If you have a friend or a family member who is suffering from mental health problems associated with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), please do not hesitate but seek help from medical professionals immediately.  Their lives could depend on it.  Last but not least, there are those who have given the ultimate sacrifice (their lives) and will be remembered forever with gratitude for their service.  Additionally, last year, I wrote a short post which included promises to Veterans from the present Presidential Administration.  There is no harm in reminding our elected officials of the need to help those in need. 




Keep these images in mind as you go on throughout your busy day either working or celebrating the day off for Veteran's.  Have a safe but thoughtful Weekend.









No comments:

Post a Comment