Traditionally, on Memorial Day, a variety of activities occur around this great nation (the U.S.A) ranging from converging on shopping malls seeking great deals to sitting around the pool with friends with beers while occasionally watching food burn on the BBQ. Regardless, the real purpose of Memorial Day is to remember those military service personnel who have given the ultimate sacrifice.
With that being said, here are a few statistics to think about:
1) U.S. Casualties from Afghanistan = 2,216
2) U.S. Casualties from Iraq = 4,411
3) 20 Veterans per day commit suicide
4) 18% of all U.S. suicides are veterans
5) Veterans make up 9% of total U.S. population
6) In 2016, 265 active duty service members took their lives
Additionally, thank you to those who are still offering up their lives:
1) Total Active Duty Military today: 2.1 million
2) Total Reserve Military today: 1.3 million
3) Total National Guard today: 800,000
And last but not least, a thought from the Associated Press:
"Veteran groups say a growing military-civilian disconnect contributes to a feeling that Memorial Day has been overshadowed. More than 12% of the U.S. population served in the armed forces during World War II. That's down to less than ONE HALF OF A PERCENT TODAY, guaranteeing more Americans aren't personally acquainted with a Soldier, Sailor, Airman or Marine."
Have a great celebration!!!!!!!
Note Source: Axios.com